8 X 8 Binary Multiplier

An area for asking questions, making suggestion, share ideas and place circuit examples.
TCWORLD

Re: 8 X 8 Binary Multiplier

Post by TCWORLD »

Square root implimented. To get square root, only the input labeled Root should be a 1. If Rem. is also a 1, then it will display the remainder, i.e. (Input - Root^2).

The circuit should be able to square root a 16 bit number, but for some reason, if the number is greater than 2^14, it doesn't work properly, not sure why?
So the input is limited to a 14bit number.

The implimentation uses the "non-restoring square root algorithm", and all function relating to sqrt is contained within the sub circuit called "Square Root". The inputs to this block are a 16 bit number on A[15..0], and a control bit called Rem. . The output in a 9 bit number on Q[8..0].
If Rem is 0, then the Integer Root is displayed on Q[0..7], while Q8 = 0. If Rem is 1, then the Remainder is displayed on Q[8..0].

The algorithm loops 8 times to find the correct answer, and each pass is handled by a circuit called "Part. Root". There are 8 partial root blocks chained together to make the loop.

If anyone can work out why it doesn't work for 15 and 16bit numbers, that would be helpful. There is a reference to the algorithm that i used here: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/do ... 1&type=pdf
Attachments
Logic Gate Calculator.zip
Logic Gate Calculator, with SQRT function.
(382.34 KiB) Downloaded 1150 times
TCWORLD

Post by TCWORLD »

Square root is now fixed. I am using a different, much simpler version of the non-restoring square root algorithm. It is a much more refined version which requires far fewer logic gates.
SQRT now also works for 16 bit numbers.
Logic Gate Calculator.zip
Logic Gate Calculator, with SQRT function.
(391.51 KiB) Downloaded 1308 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is awesome
statico

Post by statico »

I am not able to work the Square Root subcircuit. Can you help me please?