A Few suggestions

An area for asking questions, making suggestion, share ideas and place circuit examples.
boz

A Few suggestions

Post by boz »

A Very nice learning aid which seems stable and easy to use, may I suggest a couple of improvements for the next release

1. You need a toggle switch or DIP switch inputs, it is annoying to have to stop the simulation and set a constant to 1 or 0

2. Any Logical circuits you create I cannot find a way of reusing them in another project. It would be nice to be able to create a 74xx or 4000 library and share these with other users

3. The auto-hide zoom and frequency keeps triggering - can you make this an option please or fix the controls on the bottom of the screen next to the power button

4. The right click button of the mouse could do more :-)

Thank you for making this freeware.

Boz
admin
Site Admin

Re: A Few suggestions

Post by admin »

Hi Boz,
Thank you for suggestions.
You do not need to turn off the simulation to change constant, just double click it and it will be incremented by modulo (2 power of it bit width). So for one bit constant just flipping from 0 to 1 and back to 0 again.
There is a way to share you circuit between different projects. Just select a symbol of the circuit you want to share and copy/paste it to the other project. You can copy paste as many symbol as you want at a time. Hope this will help. I have a suggestion for you too; if you build any useful library of circuits you can share it with other people on this forum if you want.
I’ll think about a good way to make auto hiding panel less annoying.
Are you thinking about any specific functions to use in right mouse menu?
Thanks,
Eugene
boz

Post by boz »

Hi Eugene

Thanks for the reply I have been playing with the program for several hours now and it is quite stable, easy to use and as you build up modules and use them in new modules I can see it can become quite powerful.. I wish I had it 25 years ago when I was soldering 74xx circuits every day!

I mainly work as a programmer and on small microprocessor designs these days however in my spare time I have just started working on a little project to build a TTL based CPU. Many people have done this before and your program could be a good (cheap) way to ensure the various parts work before I order the parts and begin soldering them. It will not be possible to develop the complete CPU with the program as it does not seem to support tri-state outputs but is still quite helpful in the control logic and the documentation and its quite fun :-)

Back to your question

I can see the right mouse button would be useful for joining or unjoining wires, copying, pasting, setting values etc. As you are using dot-net it is unlikely you will be porting it to a mac so you may as well use that second mouse button!

Copying and pasting logic units is OK for a few little projects but it requires you to open another instance of the program, open another project and copy and paste each logic unit each time which is a bit slow, I found it easier to just open the clock project and save it as a new project so I could re-use the logic units you already developed

One more suggestion.. I spent about 30 minutes trying to get my very simple d-type latch working only to find an input was not connected even though there seemed to be a wire path to it. Without pressing shift on each path to check all the wires are connected it would be useful to maybe highlight a gate with a floating input (maybe colour it red!) rather than assuming it is logic '1' or maybe have this as an option.

I have created an 8-bit D-type latch and used it in a simple circuit. If I make anything useful I will post them here.

Boz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Boz,
New release of the program is available. It addresses some of the issues you’ve pointed out. Please feel free to download http://www.logiccircuit.org/download.html and try.
Eugene